For anyone familiar with the pain and discomfort that can be associated with lip blisters, it is easy to understand the importance of learning how to treat blisters on lips. The number one way to treat blisters on lips is knowing what's causing them in the first place. There can be many different causes to lip blisters such as cold sores, canker sores or blisters from sun exposure. Because of its potential to be contagious to others, the best way to determine the cause of your problem is to see a doctor for diagnosis and a treatment plan. Until then, you'll want to treat this uncomfortable problem at home in a way that's soothing for you and safe for those around you.
What you will need to treat blisters on lips:
- An ice pack.
- Over the counter topical anesthetic.
- Lip ointment.
- Aloe Vera gel
- Aspirin or Ibuprofen
- Don't share. In the event that the lip blisters are cold sores, which is a form of herpes and very contagious, refrain from sharing with others. Avoid sharing drinks, toothbrushes, eating utensils, pillows and especially kisses, until you've seen a doctor who can confirm that it is safe to do so.
- Apply ice to the area. There are several ways to treat blisters on lips if the area is itching or otherwise irritated. Ice compresses applied for five minutes every hour can reduce the pain by numbing the area and slowing down any further development of blisters.
- Numb the area with medication. The use of over the counter topical anesthetics also work well in numbing any itching or aggravation caused by blisters on lips.
- Use a lip ointment. If the blisters have become dry or flaking, apply a lip ointment or cream to moisturize the area.
- Apply aloe vera. Treat blisters on lips by soothing them with aloe gel or juice. Some studies indicate that aloe may accelerate the healing process and reduce pain caused by certain types of lip blisters.
- Reduce the pain with aspirin. If there is continued pain that isn't alleviated by the use of ice or a topical anesthetic, ease the pain with an aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Wash pillow cases, face towels and anything that may have come in direct contact with your lip blisters on a daily basis.
- Always see your doctor to determine the cause of lip blisters.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."