How to Treat Crabs
Thinking about how to treat crabs does not have to become a serious issue. Crabs are also known as pubic lice. They can be itchy and very annoying. Luckily treating crabs is almost effortless. With a little special care, your crabs will be gone in no time.
To treat crabs, you will need:
- medicated shampoo (over the counter or prescribed)
- plastic bags
- Do not scratch or dig. Scratching and digging can cause irritation and burning. You do not want your skin to become raw. This can cause secondary infections that will require additional treatment.
- Obtain medicated shampoo. When treating crabs, you will need a medicated shampoo that kills the lice. Over the counter lice treatments are usually great for treating crabs. Rid and Nix are popular brands used. You can also get a prescription from you doctor. Prescriptions of Elimite or Kwell work best.
- Wash pubic area. Make sure your pubic area is dry. Apply the medicated shampoo and work it through the area. Be thorough and massage the shampoo in for at least five minutes. Rinse the area well. You do not want any shampoo stuck in your pubic hair.
- Comb the pubic hair. Dry your pubic area completely. Use a fine toothed come to comb the lice out of your pubic area. Before combing you can apply some vinegar to your pubic area. The vinegar will make the hair easier to come through. This will allow the lice to be combed out without any problems.
- Sterilize clothing. Wash all articles of clothing in hot soapy water. When treating crabs, you can also spray your clothes with a medicated spray. Another way to sterilize clothes is to keep them in a tightly sealed bag for two weeks. All of these options will kill any pubic lice on your garments. This will insure that you are not infected with the lice again after treatment.
- Get tested for other STD's. Getting tested is a great idea when you have been infected with crabs. After treatment, the crabs should diminish in about a week. A pubic lice infection can also be accompanied by a series of other sexually transmitted diseases. It is important to treat any infections that you may have.