Learning how to treat an epididymis infection introduces a man to the connecting tissue between the ductuli efferentes and the ductus deferens. While the epididymis serves primarily as a connector, it is also the physical space in which immature sperm reaches its motility, which in turn is crucial for fertilization. When discovering how to treat an epididymis infection, a physician will refer to the condition as epididymitis.
A man cannot self-treat this condition. To this end, it is crucial to prepare the following:
- Notation of the onset of symptoms (including reddish discoloration and swelling of the testicles)
- List of sex partners
- Doctor’s appointment
Once the physician identifies the condition, he will go on to discuss with the patient how to treat an epididymis infection.
- Take antibiotics to kill the microbes. The bacterial infection leading to the condition frequently (but not always) points to Chlamydia trachomatis, which may be treated with a ten day course of once or twice daily antibiotics.
- Identify the source of the infection to avoid re-infection. Since sexually transmitted disease is a primary factor in the transfer of microbes, it is vital to identify the infected partner. Homosexual men should note that E. coli can be transmitted during sexual encounters with men. To this end, the sex partner (or partners) must be identified for treatment and also to be warned that they may have gotten infected after intercourse with the patient. Avoid sexual contact with these partner(s), unless barrier protection is in place.
- Undergo hospitalization if the swelling or fever is severe. In these cases, a professional nursing staff needs to monitor the condition to prevent damage to the testicles.
- Keep a follow-up appointment. The doctor ensures that the antibiotics worked and the epididymitis has gone away. If there is lingering fever or swelling, he will prescribe a different antibiotic.
Remember that learning how to treat an epididymis infection is of utmost importance to avoid complications. Left untreated–or treated improperly–the condition can lead to abscess formation as well as infertility.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.