Are you in pain and wondering how to treat gonococcal urethritis? Urethritis is a painful urinary tract infection that causes inflammation of the urethra. Infections of the urethra are usually caused by gastrointestinal bacteria. But, sexually transmitted diseases can also cause urethritis. A gonorrheal infection causes gonococcal urethritis.
If you think you have urethritis, visit your doctor for a medical exam. He can determine if the infection is caused by gastrointestinal bacteria, gonorrhea or another sexually transmitted disease. Depending on the diagnosis, he will likely recommend the following treatments.
You will need one of the following:
- amoxicillin or other antibiotic
Treatments For Gonococcal Urethritis
- Antibiotic Medicine. Doctors typically prescribe antibiotic drugs to treat gonococcal urethritis. Amoxicillin, ampicillin, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, nitrofurantoinand sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim are the most commonly prescribed drugs. Although symptoms usually clear within a few days of treatment, doctors recommend taking the entire course of prescribed antibiotics to completely eradicate the infection.
- Single-dose Antibiotics. Gonococcal urethritis is an infection of the urethra related to sexual activity. Doctors sometimes prescribe single-dose antibiotics to take after sexual intercourse. However, sex can be very painful for men with urethritis. Sexual abstinence is usually recommended until the infection is eradicated.
- Analgesic Medicine. Doctors may prescribe analgesics, or pain medications, for the pain associated with gonococcal urethritis. Analgesics, such as phenazopyridine, numb the urethra and relieve the pain, discomfort and burning sensation during urination. One side effect of these analgesics–they usually discolor the urine, turning it orange or red.
- Intravenous Treatments. Severe urinary tract infections, including gonococcal urethritis, may require hospitalization. Doctors sometimes find it necessary to treat severe urethritis symptoms with intravenous antibiotics or injections.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.