How To Treat Head Lice
When your child comes home from school with a note it may be time to find out how to get rid of head lice. Head lice is a common problem in school and is easily transferred from one child to another. Once your child has head lice you will need to treat the child and anything the child has come in contact with. You will also want to check the rest of your family for head lice. You may have to treat them for yourself as well.
To get rid of head lice, you will need:
- Over the counter head lice treatment
- Laundry Soap
- Hot water ( at least 130 degrees F)
- The Beds. Strip all the beds. Sheets, pillowcases, blankets, stuffed animals, everything and anything that is on the bed needs washed. Grab any throw blankets or pillows from the living room furniture as well. Start washing. Be sure your water is at least 130 degrees. Don’t over pack the washing machine wash in medium to large loads. Dry on high heat.
- Vacuum. If it does not fit into the washing machine vacuum it. The mattresses, carpets, couch, etc will all need to be vacuumed well. Just one bug can cause an infestation so you want to make sure you get rid of all the head lice and their eggs.
- Shampoo. There are many over the counter head lice treatments available. The two most popular are Rid and Nix. Both are effective when used properly and until lice are no longer visible on the infected persons head.
- Be vigilant. Even if you have already checked the rest of the family check them again. When it comes to head lice and getting rid of them you can never be too vigilant.