If you're experiencing discomfort from hemorrhoids, you may want to learn how to treat hemorrhoids at home. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the anus, which often cause pain or discomfort and can make it difficult to clean yourself after using the toilet. Thankfully, home remedies work for most cases of hemorrhoids, and only a small number of cases require surgery. Try these home remedies to treat your hemorrhoids, but consult a doctor if your hemorrhoids worsen or don't go away.
To treat hemorrhoids at home, you will need:
- Toilet paper
- Medicated pads
- Hemorrhoid ointment
- Witch hazel
- Pain relievers
- Stool softeners
- Cotton underwear
- Gently blot the anus with moistened toilet paper or a medicated pad after you use the toilet. Avoid rubbing the anus with toilet paper or using scented toilet paper which can aggravate itching.
- Apply witch hazel or hemorrhoid ointment to reduce pain and itching.
- Ice the anus or take anti-inflammatory pain relievers to reduce swelling.
- Eat more fiber and get 30 minutes of exercise a day to make your bowl movements easier, since straining during bowel movements can aggravate hemorrhoids. If necessary, take stool softeners.
- Take a sitz bath by sitting in a few inches of warm water in your tub two or three times a day and after each bowel movement. Gently pat the anus dry; do not rub.
- Wear cotton underwear to avoid irritation.
If your hemorrhoids don't get better with home remedies, you may need to have them removed, either non-surgically–by using a rubber band to cut off circulation to the hemorrhoid or by creating scar tissue around the hemorrhoid–or surgically. Since these procedures may be very painful and are usually unnecessary, attempt to treat them at home first.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!