Wondering how to treat herpes zoster on the genitals? There are different methods to consider when you are suffering from painful blisters and sores on your genital area. Herpes zoster is a virus that causes chickenpox and shingles that affects various parts of the body including the genitals. The virus is spread through sexual intercourse including oral sex.
- Take Acyclovir. This medication is used to avoid recurrence of herpes zoster in the genitals and other infections caused by the virus. It does not however cure the herpes zoster as there is no cure for the condition. It only reduces the future episodes of the viral infection. What it does is help the sores heal faster, decrease the pain and itching sensation, and reduce the length and severity of the infection. The pill is taken orally with or without foods and as prescribed by the physician. Acyclovir is most affective during the early phase of the herpes zoster on the genitals. The same medication is also available in topical form where the cream is applied on sore and blisters. Together with valacyclovir they are effective suppressant therapy against herpes zoster.
- Antiviral medications can reduce the length and severity of infections. These medications are warranted to relieve the pain and soreness caused by the herpes zoster on the genitals. During the recurrent phase of the infection, antiviral medications are effective during the first 24 hours of the infection outbreak or at the very onset of the blister formation.
- Pain is a common symptom in the herpes zoster on the genitals. Aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen are good pain management medications. Soaking the genitals on lukewarm water can also help relieve itchiness and pain.
- Apply acid cider vinegar on the genitals. Herpes zoster on the genitals can cause painful wound and itching sores. Wipe the infected area with a sponge soaked in acid cider vinegar on the wounds to help it heal. You can also add baking soda in water and wash the area to relieve itch.
- Thoroughly wash the genitals during outbreaks. Bathing the genitals with water with cornstarch or oatmeal before bed can provide significant relief from pain and itch. Do not wear tight underwear. Those that are made of cotton are best to ventilate the genitals, which aids in the healing process of the wounds.
- Avoid touching the wounds and refrain from sexual intercourse to prevent the spread of infection. The virus is transmitted through intimate contact with the mucous covered lining of the mouth and genital skin. It is through these linings where the virus enters the body and travels to the nerve roots to spread along the spinal cord where it stays permanently waiting for the body’s immune system to weaken to produce symptoms.
- Take herpes zoster vaccine. Approved by the FDA, the vaccine is only suitable for individuals 60 years and older. Children can get vaccine against chickenpox to reduce the likelihood of developing herpes zoster in the future.
- Boost your immunity. Outbreaks of herpes zoster are likely to occur when the body’s defense system is weak. Healthy diet, exercise and vitamin supplements can help prevent the infection to occur.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Real-Life Heroes Who Inspired Indiana Jones
Legend has it, these guys are the real MVPs.