Someone with a painful ulcer and without a strong grasp of indefinites or English might ask ‘how to treat peptic ulcer?’ But average individuals with the same physical symptoms are going to be wondering how in the world to alleviate an ulcer. Even the sound of the word ‘ulcer’ is menacing, but try and relax – as unpleasant as a peptic ulcer may be, it’s not the end of the world. Besides, stressing can aggravate and sometimes causes ulcers, so relaxing is more of a medical suggestion.
Before discussing what an ulcer even is, let’s take a look at things you can use to treat peptic ulcer.
- Antibiotics. If it’s determined you have a peptic ulcer from a bacterial infection, you get a few rounds of antibiotics to knock the infection out.
- OTC and prescription medications. For non-bacterial problems, or to be used in conjunction with antibiotics, you might also need an antacid, an acid blocker, or a proton pump inhibitor (which is also used for acid reflux patients).
Now, if you want to treat peptic ulcer and actually get rid of these things, here’s what you need to do:
- See a doctor. We know, a lot of folks might be grumbling at this because they were probably expecting a magic cure made from bleach and lemon juice. Honestly, there are no homeopathic remedies for a peptic ulcer because ulcers are very serious. So serious, in fact, that untreated ones can worsen and burn a hole in your stomach, which can lead to a potentially fatal condition called peritonitis. In short, don’t mess around.
- Take your meds. If you’re prescribed antibiotics, be sure to take the whole course. As with any bacterial infection, stopping the antibiotics when you start to feel better will just make the infection more resistant to the medication. Then you’ll have to go back to the previous step and get an even stronger pill.
- Put down the booze and put out the butt. Let up on the substance use, don’t eat painkillers like candy. A peptic ulcer can easily be aggravated by substances and aspirin.
- Alter your diet. Avoid foods that are spicy or have a high fat content; these kinds of food will aggravate the stomach and result in a higher production of acid.
There are a few different types of peptic ulcer: Gastric (stomach), duodenal (small intestine), and esophageal (you should know this), and as evidenced by their names, they occur in different areas of the body. And while stress can be a potential cause of ulcers, it’s not the primary cause. The bacterium Heliobacter pylori are relatively harmless microscopic creatures that live and multiply in the lining of the stomach and the small intestine. But sometimes, H. pylori just have a mood swing and will inflame the aforesaid organ linings. This results in the formation of a peptic ulcer or two. Also, even though H. pylori occur naturally in our bodies, it can also become infectious and can be transmitted via close contact. Something like twenty percent of all Americans under the age of 30 is ‘infected’ with the irritable form of the bacteria.
Bacteria isn't the only cause of ulcers. Aside from stress; alcohol, tobacco and painkillers are ulcer fertilizer. Alcohol grinds down the stomach lining, making it more susceptible to ulcers, smoking augments the amount and potency of stomach acid, and undue consumption of OTC painkillers, much like H. pylori, can inflame the linings of the stomach and intestines. As with any inflammation, you will feel a peptic ulcer because it will hurt, sometimes a whole lot and often more so on an empty stomach.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...