This article will discuss how to treat premature ejaculation since it occurs in approximately ten percent of men at some time in their lives. It appears to be more common in younger men, but sometimes middle-aged men experience problems as well. The problem does seem to lessen as men age. While the average time for ejaculation in most men is 7.3 minutes, the average time for men with premature ejaculation is 1.8 minutes. Some men who did not ejaculate for 25 minutes still felt they had a problem with premature ejaculation because it took their partner 35 minutes to reach an orgasm. This shows how many individual variances there are in the definition of premature ejaculation. However, premature ejaculation is treatable, just follow the tips below.
- Determine whether you have a problem with premature ejaculation. If you are consistently ejaculating before your partner, this can cause frustration in both parties leading to the break-up of relationships. It can also cause problems with conception if the man ejaculates before entering the vagina.
- If you feel you have premature ejaculation, consult with your doctor about available treatments. This may not be necessary if your problem is mainly lasting ten minutes when it takes your partner twenty. There are techniques you personally can use to lengthen your ejaculation time, such as the distraction technique. This is where you keep your mind on something other than sex to distract you and hopefully prolong ejaculation.
- Local anesthetic gels can also be used. Gel applied to the shaft of the penis can dull sensation and delay ejaculation. Using gels are not recommended because it can also lessen the sensation of your partner. Even when it is wiped off of the shaft it can still cause the loss of sensation and can even irritate both the vagina and penis.
- Try using a long love condom. Condoms have been developed in Europe that contain a local anesthetic inside which can lengthen ejaculation time. The bad side effect is that the benzocaine inside the condom may cause irritation to the penis.
- Enlist the help of your partner in using a technique developed by Masters and Johnson. This involves your partner gripping your erect penis. Her index finger is placed just above the ridge of the glans (head) and the middle finger is placed just below that on the side of the penis facing the man’s body. When you feel you are about ready to ejaculate, she places her thumb on the other side of the penis where the shaft and head join and squeezes until the feeling has passed. Repeat this process as often as necessary until you are ready to ejaculate. Eventually this technique will help prolong your ejaculation and you will be able to stop your ejaculation without assistance. Remember, practice makes perfect!
- If all else fails, talk to your doctor about any antidepressant medications you may be taking. A common side effect of antidepressants is the delay of ejaculation. The benefits of these drugs versus the risks associated with taking them should be discussed in detail with your doctor.
- Check out cognitive behavioral therapy. One of the cognitive behavioral therapies is called the stop-start technique. This technique involves masturbation with a dry hand, stopping just before ejaculation three times, and then ejaculating. Once you gain control of your ejaculation, you masturbate with a wet hand (simulating the texture of the vagina) and repeat the same process until you gain control of your ejaculation. This technique does not require consultation with a doctor.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...