You've just injured your quad muscle, and you need to know how to treat a pulled quad muscle. Many runners and athletes get a pulled muscle at some time or another. Quad muscles are the large muscles located in the front of the thighs. If the sport or activity involves a sudden burst of speed such as that necessary for basketball players and runners, then those athletes are at a higher risk of injuring their quad muscles. Here are some ways to treat a pulled quad muscle.
To treat a pulled quad muscle you need:
- ice pack
- pain reliever
- Rest your quad muscle. Immediately stop the activity that is causing the pain. Rest your leg for at least 48 to 72 hours. Stay off of your feet as much as you possibly can. When you are sitting down, keep your leg elevated. This can help to reduce swelling.
- Apply ice. Put an ice pack on the muscle for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. About every two to three hours, reapply ice to the area for about a 24 hour period. Make sure to wrap the ice in a towel first to protect the skin. Ice can help to reduce the swelling and pain of the quad muscle.
- Wrap the quad muscle in a bandage. Make sure that the bandage is snug around the muscle to support it. This will help to reduce swelling as well as protect the injured quad muscle.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever. The drug should be an anti-inflammatory, such as ibuprofen, to reduce pain and help with inflammation as well. If the pain does not seem to lessen, contact your health care provider.
- Start off stretching the quad muscle. Make sure to stretch before and after your routine to prevent additional pulls. If the strain is severe, it may require up to a couple weeks to heal. Take it one day at a time and don't push yourself too hard or too fast.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.