Knowing how to treat a rectal hernia may involve a simple procedure done by a physician or through surgical management and medication. A hernia occurs when there is an abnormal protrusion of rectal tissue from the rectum—this may show as a lump along the rectum. The most common cause for a rectal hernia is straining, but other factors may also contribute to its occurrence. Treatment for rectal hernias will depend on the extent of the prolapse of the rectal tissue.
Things you'll need:
- Over-the-counter stool softeners
- Over-the-counter topical creams/ointments
- Doctor's appointment
- For simple cases of rectal hernia, medication may suffice for treatment. Stool softeners, laxatives, suppositories and enemas are the most commonly prescribed drugs for mild rectal hernia. This will help facilitate a smooth bowel movement that will prevent straining during defecation. Although pushing the protruding rectal tissues back inside the rectum is something you can do at home with a simple rectal hernia, it should be done with care, as it could cause more damage.
- Bathing the affected area with warm water can give relief from the discomfort. This can ease the pain and burning sensation, too. There are other topical medicines such as creams and ointment available for over-the-counter purchase that can help relieve discomfort from rectal hernia.
- Chronic rectal hernia requires immediate treatment. If pharmaceutical intervention will not prevent the rectal hernia to heal, surgical procedures become an option. Surgery for chronic rectal hernias may be through abdominal prolapse surgery or perineal prolapse surgery. The former involves a more invasive procedure that involves surgery from the abdominal to the rectal area. The latter is less invasive since it involves only a small incision on the perineal area of the rectum under local anesthesia.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.