Everyone should know how to treat strep throat. Strep throat is a bacterial infection that affects the throat and tonsils. Symptoms of strep throat include fever, sore throat, swollen glands in the neck, and tonsil irritation. Although strep throat is more common in children and teenagers, adults can get strep at any time. Strep throat is highly contagious so once you have been diagnosed, wash your hands, cover your mouth while sneezing and for God's sake don't kiss anyone (this may or may not be a good thing depending on your relationship status.) Here are some ways to help treat strep throat and keep some of the symptoms at bay.
To treat strep throat, you will need:
- Water and assorted beverages
- Lozenges or hard candy
- Get thee to a doctor. It's important to go to a doctor first for proper diagnosis as the symptoms of strep throat may mask another medical issue or a dangerous viral infection. Once you have been diagnosed with strep, your physician may prescribe antibiotics or penicillin for treatment. Even if you're taking antibiotics, you may still spread the infection so take precautions around others for at least three to five days while under the treatment.
- Drink liquids and plenty of them. Drink plenty of warm and cold liquids to keep your throat lubricated and help with the dryness caused by strep. The best liquids to drink are tea, broth and water, although even soda or other assorted beverages will help.
- Get Sweet and Salty. To soothe the achy throat associated with strep, gargle three to four times a day with warm salt water. To make, mix 1/2 tsp. salt with one cup warm water. If you have a sweet tooth, sucking on popsicles, lozenges or hard candy will also help with throat pain. NOTE: Sucking on a popsicle in front of any of your buddies will result in constant teasing and a lifetime of embarrassment. You have been forewarned.
- Keep a mist vaporizer or humidifier on at all times. Keeping a humidifier on all day, even if you live in a humid area, will help keep the inside of the mouth and throat moist. Be sure to sleep with a humidifier in the room as well. In fact, it's a good idea to get plenty of rest. A good night's sleep will help to work the infection out of your system and may even prevent you from getting sick in the first place.
- Drink the nastiest tasting old wives remedy known to man. Mix equal parts whiskey, honey and lemon juice in a small cup. Plug your nose and chug. The whiskey numbs soreness, the lemon juice works to help with the swelling, and the honey coats the inside of the throat. Keep it to one part whiskey if you want to forget you have strep throat in the first place.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.