How To Treat Varicocele Pain

Looking for information on how to treat varicocele pain? You may have heard people talk about pain from varicose veins, but that is not the same as varicocele pain. Varicocele pain only occurs in men, because it occurs in the scrotum. Basically, a varicocele forms when a valve in your body stops functioning properly, which causes your blood to flow in reverse. The blood then collects in your veins, which stretches them to the point where they can become swollen, which is known as a varicocele. Symptoms that are often associated with varicocele pain include testicular discomfort, a heavy feeling in the scrotum, dilated veins in the scrotum and achy testicles.

To treat varicocele pain, you will need to:

  • See a doctor
  • Obtain anti-inflammatory medication
  • Wear snug underwear or a jock strap
  1. See a doctor. If you believe that you are experiencing pain from a varicocele, you will need to see a doctor. A doctor will be able to perform a testicular exam on you to check for the presence of a varicocele.
  2. Anti-inflammatory medication. If you have been diagnosed with a varicocele, your doctor will likely prescribe you an anti-inflammatory medication. The anti-inflammatory medication will help reduce and/or eliminate any pain or swelling that is the result of a varicocele.
  3. Snug underwear and jock straps. In addition to being prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication, your doctor may recommend that you wear snug underwear or a jock strap while you are experiencing varicocele pain. The support that is provided by snug underwear and jock straps may bring relief to your varicocele pain.


If none of the above treatment options work for your varicocele pain, your doctor may recommend a varicoelectomy. That procedure is performed by a urologist and involves tying off the vein that is causing your varicocele pain and redirecting the associated blood flow to other veins.

show comments

What Others Are Reading Right Now.