Knowing how to troubleshoot a furnace can save you a lot of money. It can also prevent repairmen from trying to take advantage of you since you will have learned what the problem is. Troubleshooting a furnace may sound technical, but it really involves just a few simple steps.
To learn how to troubleshoot a furnace, you will need:
- A new furnace filter
- Screwdriver or knife for prying
- Check to make sure the thermostat is set to the "heat" position. On some furnaces there may also be an off-on switch on the furnace itself. Check it and make sure it's set to the "on" position.
- On the thermostat you should see a reading for the indoor temperature of the building. Make sure the heat is set to a higher reading than that of the indoor temperature or it will fail to kick on. Knowing how to troubleshoot a furnace is mostly a matter of common sense.
- If there is still no heat coming on, try the "fan" setting. You can do this just to make sure there is actually power going to the unit because you will then hear the fan running. If the fan does not come on you will need to then check your circuit breakers to make sure the breaker for the furnace has not been tripped. If it has, then your furnace troubleshooting is at an end, and it's just a simple case of resetting the switch.
- It is very important the you replace your furnace filter or filters every month. Clogged filters can greatly reduce the efficiency of your furnace, and in the long haul may damage your unit beyond repair. You may need to pry open a grate or door to get at your filter to change it. Disposable filters should never be vacuumed. They should be thrown away and a new one put in its place. Also make sure that nothing is blocking the intake filter. There should not be furniture or anything else in front of it. Having to troubleshoot a furnace can be avoided by some preventive maintenance!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?