Are you having problems with your shifter and need to know how to tune a Shimano Deore Lx rear derailleur? One sign that a derailleur needs tuning is when the shifting on your bike becomes sluggish, and tuning the rear derailleur should fix this problem. The rear derailleur's job is to make sure that the drive chain moves smoothly on the shifter. The cable tension must be adjusted properly to make sure that the Shimano Deore Lx rear derailleur is tuned correctly.
To tune a Shimano Deore Lx rear derailleur you need:
- 5 mm Allen wrench
- Phillips screwdriver
- Get your bike into position. Place your bike on a kick stand or against the wall to have it standing up in a steady position. Make sure that the bike is at an appropriate working height.
- Shift the chain to the smallest cog. Shift the chain that is located on the front middle ring. Then, shift the chain to the smallest cog first while turning the pedals. When shifting to this position, the rear derailleur cable should become fully slacked. Next, carefully shift to the next cog up.
- Adjust the barrel. Turn the adjust barrel as far as you can to the right. Now begin to crank the wheel, and as you crank the wheel, turn the adjusting barrel to the left as you count the turns. Count the turns until the chain jumps to the next cog on the Shimano Deore Lx rear derailleur.
- Shift back to the smallest cog once again. Once the chain jumps to the next cog, make sure to shift all the way down to the smallest cog once more. To do this, turn the adjusting barrel as far as you can to the right. Next, turn the adjusting barrel to the left 1/2 the number of turns that you counted. For example, if it took six turns for the chain to jump over to the next cog, then you would turn it three turns.
- Check the shifting of the Shimano Deore Lx rear derailleur. Check to see if you can now shift gears without hesitation. If it still a little difficult to shift gears on the rear derailleur, adjust the barrel just a little by taking half turns at a time to the left until you have become fully satisfied with the shifting. You have successfully tuned a Shimano Deore Lx rear derailleur.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.