Want to know how to unstop a blocked nostril? What an awful feeling to have a congested, stuffy nose. Nothing smells or tastes the same when you have nasal congestion. Colds, sinus infections and seasonal allergies are the main culprits in causing that swelling of the nasal passages. It is relatively easy to unstop a blocked nostril.
- Keep hydrated by drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water daily. This will help to thin out the thick secretions making them easier to clear.
- Take a hot shower twice a day. Enjoy the shower and breathe slowly and deeply to unstop the blocked nostril. The heat and steam in the shower will soothe your nasal passages, help to thin your secretions and allow them to be cleared easily once finished.
- Use a saline nasal spray. This will clean the inside of the nose and promote drainage of thickened secretions, if they are present. Saline nasal spray may be used multiple times a day without harm. Blowing your nose after the spray will unstop the blocked nostril.
- Do not smoke and avoid exposure to smoke if possible. Smoke is an irritant. Smoking causes you to make more mucus thus making your nasal congestion worse.
- Take an decongestant or antihistamine. You can find and buy one or both of these over the counter at a pharmacy. They can temporarily unstop a blocked nostril by decreasing the swelling and drying up the secretions. Follow the instructions on the package.
If you have a fever of 101 degrees or greater, see your doctor. You may have an infection that needs antibiotic treatment.
Antihistamines may cause drowsiness. It's best to take them at night.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)