How To Use Blackberry As A Modem
If you want to always have access to the internet and don't particularly want to shop around for hot spots for internet connectivity, you need to learn how to use Blackberry as a modem. Using your Blackberry as a modem is also called 'tethering' as you are making a connection between your PC and your cell phone and using your cell phone's internet connection. Tethering a Blackberry is quite easy but the procedures for connecting an IBM-compatible PC or a Mac are different. For the contents of this article, a Blackberry will be tethered to an IBM-compatible computer.
- Load the Blackberry Desktop Manager program to your PC. Your Blackberry phone probably came with the software on a CD. If you don't have the CD, go online and search for "Blackberry Desktop Manager." Download and install the program.
- Launch the Blackberry Desktop Manager and click "IP Modem" from the front page.
- Click "Connection Settings" and then click the "Configure" button.
- Click the drop down box on the "Connection Profile." The separate providers, such as T-Mobile or Verizon should be listed.
- Check your provider profile and enter any information needed by the provider such as user name and password. At the bottom of the screen is a spot you can check that says "Keep an IP modem connection open after the Blackberry Desktop Manager is closed." By checking this box, your Blackberry will remain connected to your computer at all times. Click "OK'"at the bottom of the screen.
- You'll now see a "Connect to the internet" section on the right side of the screen. Click "Connect" and you should be able to now access the internet.
Tips and Warning:
- Check with your Blackberry provider to see if they impose an additional fee if you use your Blackberry as a modem. Some cell phone providers do have an additional fee and some may have a one time fee.
- Make SURE you understand the perils and possible costs of using your Blackberry as a modem. If you have to pay additional costs, be aware of how much you may download before it gets REALLY expensive!