When you need to know how to use a double slow cooker, the most important thing to keep in mind is it does not get as hot as a regular slow cooker. A double slow cooker can be used for heating dips, sauces, dipping chocolate, or syrup. However, double slow cookers do not produce enough heat to cook raw meat to a safe inner temperature. If your dip recipe calls for meat, cook it before putting it in the double slow cooker. Also, avoid leaving food in a double slow cooker for over four hours, and if you are using the device with an empty chamber, fill that side with water to prevent scorching or breaking the stone-wear pot.
The things you need to use a double slow cooker are:
- Paper towels
- 1 and 1/2 cups of dip, sauce, syrup, or chocolate for each chamber.
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Oven mitts
- Wet a paper towel and wipe out the chambers of the double slow cooker. If you are using the device for the first time, wash the stone-wear with mild dish detergent and hot water.
- Place the stone-wear chambers side-by-side in the heating unit. They will only fit in the device one way, with the flat sides together in the center.
- Combine the ingredients in the mixing bowl. Stir the ingredients together as thoroughly as you can.
- Pour the food from the mixing bowl into the stone-wear chambers. Fill the chambers at least half-way full, but not more than 2/3 full. Under-filling can cause the stone-wear to scorch, while overfilling can lead to food running over the edges when it expands from the heat.
- Cover the double slow cooker with the lid provided with the unit. The food will heat faster when covered.
- Wait between 30 and 60 minutes for the food to heat. Stir the food again after the food is warm. You can leave the double slow cooker turned on for up to four hours with food in it, but make sure you turn it off when the level of the food reaches the bottom of the stone-wear.
- Wear oven mitts when handling hot stone-wear so you do not burn your hands.