Learn how to use dumpling makers and make your own calzones and empanadas. Dumpling makers can also make a filled dumpling such as a pierogi or potsticker. A plain dumpling is the perfect thing for chicken and dumplings. A dumpling maker is round with a hinged middle and crimped edges to seal the dumpling. Here are a couple of recipes to get you started.
To make a pierogi, a Polish filled dumpling, you will need:
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- Mashed potatoes
- Mix all ingredients together. Knead for a couple of minutes.
- The dough will be sticky. Put a bowl over the dough for a half hour.
- Sprinkle dough on a cutting board. Roll the dough out to a thickness of 1/16-inch. Use flour as need to keep it from sticking to the board. Cut out three-inch circles.
- Place the dough in the opened dumpling maker. Put a tablespoon of mashed potato and onion filling in the center.
- Close the dumpling maker to seal the edges of the pierogi. Put into boiling water for ten to twelve minutes. Stir once to turn them over. Remove when they float to the top.
To make a potsticker, a Chinese filled dumpling, you will need:
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger root
- 1/4 head of Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 bunch of Chinese leeks, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Pinch of cayenne
- 25 wonton wrappers
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Put the cabbage in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and some cold water. Let sit for ten minutes. Drain the cabbage.
- Mix the pork with the leeks. Add the garlic and ginger. Add the drained cabbage.
- Season with salt, oyster sauce, pepper, and cayenne and sesame oil. Mix the filling thoroughly.
- Put the wonton wrapper in the dumpling maker. Put one tablespoon of filling in the center. Close the dumpling maker to cut and seal the edges of the potsticker.
- Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet. Put a single layer of potstickers in the pan.
- Pour in enough water to half-cover the potstickers. Partially cover with a lid and cook for ten minutes over medium heat.
- Most of the water will evaporate. Remove the lid. The bottoms should be brown. Drizzle with a few drops of sesame oil.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?