How To Use An Inflatable Fishing Kayak
Learning how to use an inflatable kayak for fishing is a fun process, overall. All you need is the kayak, a fishing rod and a few extra supplies. The following is advice on how to use an inflatable kayak for fishing.
- First, make sure that your inflatable kayak is in perfect condition and is not losing air. You must also have a great fishing rod.
- A couple of other supplies to strongly consider are leashes, drift bags and anchors. A leash will keep the rod connected to the boat, so that if it should somehow make its way over the side, it will not be lost to the depths. A drift bag slows the pace of the kayak, making it cruise slower and allowing anglers to fish certain holes longer, especially in wind or current. The anchor allows fishermen to hit a hole for sometime without getting out of its range; all of these items should be strongly considered for inflatable kayak fishing.
- To fish from an inflatable kayak, simply fish like you would from any other boat. Inflatable kayaks have an advantage over hard kayaks, in that they are slower because they cause more friction with the water. They, therefore, automatically drift slower, allowing for easier slow fishing.
- Cast out to a nice fishing hole, and begin a slow retrieve. If bass fishing, allow soft plastic lures to sink or drift, and then twitch the rod every ten seconds or so, and slowly reel the slack. Repeat this process, hitting holes or deep banks over and over. If necessary, anchor up to allow you to work promising waters for some time without moving out of their range. For other types of fish, fish as you would from the bank; trout may even be fly fished from the kayak.
- When you want to relocate, simply pull up any drift bag or anchor, paddle to a new spot, and slow your inflatable craft again. Continue to fish slowly, and you will likely find success. It will take some time to get used to, as inflatable kayaks are lower in the water than are canoes and other crafts, but with practice, you can hone your kayak fishing skills.
Learning how to use an inflatable kayak for fishing is not too hard, and it's fun throughout. Keep at it, and fish slowly, and you will soon start catching fish.