If you want to jog a little bit further every day, but don't want to run on the same path all the time, then you need to learn how to use a jogging pedometer. A pedometer uses movement or electricity, depending on the model, to count the number of steps you have taken and report it on a digital display. Most pedometers can convert your steps into miles, so you can look down and quickly see how far you have gone. A pedometer lets you jog the same amount, or slowly increase the amount that you jog, while giving you the freedom to jog wherever you want.
- Determine your stride length. Your stride length is required in order for the pedometer to turn your number of steps into miles or kilometers. To determine your stride length, jog ten paces and measure the distance that you cover. Divide that distance by ten to get your stride length. You can also use more steps, like 20 or 50, to get a more precise stride length. Some pedometers can also hold multiple stride lengths, so that you can use your pedometer for walking as well as running.
- Input your stride length into the pedometer. The process will vary depending on your model of pedometer, so check your instruction booklet for specific instructions.
- Input your weight into the pedometer. Certain pedometers can use your weight and the distance that you have gone to approximate the number of calories you have burned.
- Attach the pedometer to your belt or waistband. The pedometer needs to be upright in order to accurately count your steps, so make sure it is attached to your belt or waistband while you are jogging.
- Press the reset button to clear the count. Most reset buttons are located on the front of the device and are slightly larger than other buttons, although your individual model may be different. When the pedometer resets to zero, your are ready to start jogging.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.