How To Use Massage Rocks
Many people seek to learn how to use massage rocks because many benefits are associated with using massage rocks, including pain relief, stress reduction and muscle relaxation. The use of massage rocks are commonly found as a part of many massage therapy techniques, but they can also be used at home if you know how to use massage rocks properly.
To use massage rocks at home you will need:
- Massage stones
- A crock pot or pot or water
- Bowl of cold water
- Large spoon
- A place to lay down
- To begin using massage rocks you’ll need to heat water in either a crock pot or bowl of water to 130 degrees an hour before you plan to use the massage rocks. Let the water heat the rocks, then 30 minutes before using the rocks, use the large spoon to remove the rocks from the water. If the rocks are too hot to use place them in a bowl of cold water until they are a suitable temperature.
- When you’re ready to use the massage rocks, have your client lay down in a comfortable position. You’ll need to have access to their arms, legs, and face. To begin, place the stones on the back of the legs and in between the toes so that the stones rest comfortably on the skin. While the stones sit on the legs and feet, place larger stones in the palms of the hands.
- When you are ready to begin massaging, place flat massage stones on the body, such as the back of the knee and upper back. Begin massaging the body in the areas opposite to the stones. For example, if there are stones placed on the calf, begin massaging the upper thigh. Move the rocks to other areas of the body as you continue with the massage, but make sure they do not slip off or begin to cluster.
- To end the massage using the rocks, lightly stroke the body with the rocks, always following the grain of the muscles. Begin with light pressure and increase the pressure as the muscles begin to relax and warm up. Make sure your client is comfortable with the amount of pressure you are using.
Repeat this procedure for the front of the body and face. For health and hygienic purposes, make sure the rocks are cleaned and disinfected between use. Always test the temperature of the rocks prior to applying them to the skin to avoid burns to your client.