How To Use A Rowing Machine
By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn how to use a rowing machine. Rowing machines are great not only for use in improving the cardiovascular system and increasing muscle tone in the arms and upper body, but are also a great alternative to rowing in a boat during inclement weather.
- Start by finding a rowing machine that is in good working order. This is very important to learning how to properly use a rowing machine. A machine that is broken or damaged will not function properly and can result in injury or impaired range of movement.
- Sit on the seat of the rowing machine with your feet on the footrests, your knees bent, your hands holding the handle of the rowing machine, and your body as close to the front of the machine as possible.
- Take a deep breath. As you exhale your breath, extend your legs, pushing the seat and your body to the back of the rowing machine. Before you completely get to the back of the machine, pull the handlebar of the rowing machine into your chest.
- Relax your arms, allowing the handlebar of the rowing machine to go back to its original position. At the same time, bend your knees, bringing the seat back to its starting position.
- Repeat this process for as long as you can sustain it. Initially, you may only be able to row for five minutes. Ideally, you should be able to increase your time spent on the tower to 30 minutes for maximum benefits.