Learn how to use tortilla machines and enjoy fresh, homemade tortillas whenever you want. Tortilla machines range from giant pieces of equipment used in restaurants to small home appliances for the home cook. Unless you're planning on opening your own restaurant or tortilla wholesale business, tortilla machines designed for home use should suit you fine.
To use a tortilla machine, you will need:
- A tortilla machine
- Corn or flour tortilla dough
- Prepare the tortilla dough. A basic recipe for corn tortillas calls for mixing two cups of masa harina, also known as corn flour, with one-and-a-quarter cups of water and kneading until a dough forms. Make flour tortillas by mixing together two-and-three-quarter cups of flour, five tablespoons canola oil or lard and three-quarters of a cup of water.
- Divide the dough into equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
- Use the tortilla machine to flatten the dough. Place a dough ball onto the bottom circle of the tortilla machine. You'll want to set the ball in the center of the circle. Lower the top circle down onto the dough ball to flatten it into a tortilla. You may need to adjust the thickness on the tortilla machine to get the tortilla thin or thick enough.
- Cook the tortilla. Some tortilla machines are electric and cook the tortilla while flattening it. If your tortilla machine does not also cook the tortilla, open the machine and remove the tortilla. Heat a cast iron griddle or skillet over medium heat and place the tortilla on it. Cook the tortilla for less than minute, until it turns slightly golden.
We recently showed you a gallery of 10 cooking gadgets every man needs. Because we're serious about you guys owning thes ...
You may not consider yourself a baker, but you’re just a few steps away from pulling a warm loaf of homemade beer bread ...
Hey, you gotta’ get our grub on, right? But sometimes you’re short on time from sleeping one off and doing lunch/dinner ...