Knowing how to wash blue jeans without fading them can save you a lot of aggravation and money. The less often you wash darker denim the better, but everything needs to be laundered from time to time. If you know some tips to wash jeans without fading them, you may be able to maintain that dark wash. Best of all, it's not difficult to wash jeans without making the color fade.
Things you'll need:
- Mild, color safe laundry detergent
- Cold water
- Garment rack or clothes line
- Turn your jeans inside out. Reversing your denim before washing it helps reduce the amount of wear and tear it is exposed to. It also preserves the color.
- Fill your bathtub or sink with cold water. Hand laundering in cold water is one of the only ways to wash jeans without having the color fade. Submerge your jeans in cold water, so they are completely saturated. Let them soak for 30 minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of a mild, color safe detergent to the cold water. Gently swirl your jeans around in the cold, soapy water for a minute or two. Be careful not to be too rough; agitation will cause you to wash out more dye.
- Hang your jeans to dry on a garment rack or clothes line. Remove when dry.
Tips & Warnings:
- If you want to wash blue jeans without having the color fade, never use the washer and dryer. The agitation and heat your clothing is exposed to during machine washing not only makes the color fade, but it also wears out the denim.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.