Many people do not know how to wash carpet. It is not hard to do if you just follow a few important steps. Carpet can get dirty no matter how hard you try to keep it clean. Regular vacuuming sometimes is just not enough; when stains appear, you have to take action.
To wash carpet, you will need:
- Vacuum cleaner
- Stain remover
- Carpet cleaner
- Carpet shampoo
- Hot water
- Vacuum before you wash carpet. This will remove dust, dirt and debris that is trapped deep in the carpet.
- Pre-treat stains. Many types of stains can end up on the carpet such as oil, mud, drink and food stains. These types of stains may have to be pre-treated in order to remove them. This will help to dissolve the stains to better remove them when you wash carpet.
- Use a carpet cleaning machine. It does not matter if you are just removing one stain or cleaning your entire carpet, a carpet cleaner works wonders for cleaning and making your carpet look brand new again. If you do not own a carpet cleaner, you can borrow or rent one.
- Use hot steamy water. When you wash carpet, this will ensure that you are getting it as clean as possible. Many carpet cleaners on the market have a high-pressure feature to spray hot water for removing many hard to remove stains.
- Use a quality shampoo. Use a good carpet cleaning shampoo to freshen and to help remove stains.
- Allow it time to dry. After you wash carpet, it may be damp for a while so it is best to let it dry before walking on it.