Down comforters are some of the most comfortable bed linens you will ever find but like many people, you may be wondering how to wash a down comforter. While labels on the down comforter may tell you that it's best to leave it to a professional, you can wash your own down comforter at home. Not only will this save you money, but it'll make your time without your precious down comforter even less.
Things you'll need:
- Tennis balls or dryer balls
- Laundry soap
- Check your comforter. Before you decide to wash your down comforter you may want to check for any tears or rips so that you don't lose any of the inside filling during the washing and drying process.
- Add bleach and laundry soap to your washer. Go ahead and start filling your washer and add bleach to wash before your comforter so that it can mix with the water thoroughly instead of being poured over the comforter. If you have a bleach dispenser on your washer you can use that. Add your laundry soap so it mixes as well. Obviously, if you have a down comforter that is any color other than white, add color safe bleach or none at all. Add the normal amounts you would for any large sized laundry load.
- Add your down comforter. Add your down comforter and be sure it is evenly distributed. Set your washer on "whites" and start the laundry.
- Move to the dryer. Once your down comforter has washed it will look flat and gray. This is not a concern but simply the down feathers being flattened while wet. Move your down comforter to your dryer and select a mid-range heat setting. High heat can be used, just keep an eye on it periodically.
- Add tennis balls or dryer balls. Thrown in a couple of normal tennis balls or dryer balls that can be bought specifically to fluff out laundry. Turn on your dryer.
- Check for dryness. When wondering about how to wash a down comforter you need to know that they take quite a while to dry thoroughly so don't be alarmed if it has to run two to three cycles. Check it after each dryer cycle and start the dryer again if it is not entirely dry. You can smell it for wetness if you are not positive.
Now your comforter will be almost as good as new. In fact, sometimes the down comforters cleaned at home will look as good as the day you bought it. If you're considering purchasing bed linens you no longer have to worry about how to wash a down comforter. Go ahead and enjoy your purchase knowing that you can clean it yourself when it's time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.