If you are trying to learn how to wash a dress shirt, you have multiple options. You can have it professionally cleaned or your can do it yourself. If you choose to do it yourself you only need a couple of supplies and you are good to go.
What you need to wash a dress shirt:
- Washing machine
- Laundry detergent
- Take your dress shirt to the cleaners. A professional cleaners is the best guarantee to get your dress shirt cleaned properly. Regardless of the fabric, a professional cleaner will know what to do. Your dress shirt will be laundered as best as it can.
- Do it yourself. With the use of a few products you can clean your dress shirt yourself right from the comfort of your own home. No need to send it to the cleaners. Make a washing machine or a sink available.
- In the washer. Set the washer on a gentle cycle in cold water. Pick the laundry detergent of choice, without fabric softener. Fabric softener leaves a film on fabric that you don't want when your dress shirt is going to be more than likely pressed and starched.
- Wash your dress shirt by hand. Fill up the sink with cold water. Add some detergent to the water. Place your dress shirt in the water and agitate the fabric with your hands. Rub it together to get the grain of the material nice and clean all the way through.
- Rinse your dress shirt. Drain the sink and rinse your dress shirt with cold water. Rinse until the water runs clear and you see no more suds coming out of your shirt. Cold water will keep your favorite dress shirt from shrinking or discoloring.
- Hang dry. Now that your dress shirt is clean, hang it up. If you put your shirt in the dryer it will cause the dress shirt to twist, fade and possibly shrink. A doorway is the best place to hang your shirt to dry. There is a lot of airflow. After it is completely dry, proceed with ironing.