Most people don’t realize that they need to know how to wash feather pillows they use night after night in the same manner as the comforter they cover up with. Pillows are a collection plate for nighttime drool, dirty hair and other things you may not want to think about. Taking the time to wash feather pillows will eliminate the bacteria and germs hiding in the cushion you lay your head on.
To wash feather pillows, you will need:
- Washing machine
- Mild detergent
- Tennis balls
- Place two feather pillows into the washing machine at a time to prevent the load from being unbalanced during the spin cycle. Do not remove the zipper pillow covering when you wash feather pillows.
- Set the washing machine to the delicate cycle and fill with warm water. Add a small amount of mild detergent and let the machine wash feather pillows. Set the machine to rinse two additional times after the wash and rinse cycle is complete. This will ensure the pillow is rinsed of all soap.
- Spin the pillows two additional lengths of time to make sure most of the water is removed from the pillow.
- Dry the pillows in a dryer set to low. Place several clean tennis balls into the dryer with the pillow to assist with fluffing the pillows. Remove the pillows periodically through the drying process to hand fluff them and break up feather clumps. Pillows with internal feather chambers will take up to four hours to dry. Lumps in the pillow are a sign there is still dampness and need to additional drying time.
- After you wash feather pillows, some pillows may have a musty smell. Place the pillows in the sun for several hours to eliminate the smell. Do not store pillows in plastic bags as this also will give them a musty smell.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.