Rugs can be tricky to clean, which is why everyone should learn how to wash rugs properly. While small area rugs can often be placed directly into the washing machine, larger rugs cannot. Here you'll find a few tricks you can use to learn how to wash rugs.
Supplies needed to wash rugs:
- Baking soda
- Stain-removal product
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Soft-bristled brush
- Soft cloth
How to wash rugs:
- Vacuum. Before doing anything else, thoroughly vacuum the rug before washing it. This will help to remove any loose dirt or other particles that are embedded in the rug fibers.
- Treat stains. If your rug is located in a high-traffic area, stains are inevitable. Before you learn how to wash rugs, you'll need to pre-treat any stains. Use a toothbrush to apply a stain-removal product (just like what you would use for your clothing) directly to the stains. Allow it to sit for several hours, so that it will reach deep down into the stain. Then, vacuum the area.
- Wash. If your rug cannot be washed in the washing machine, you will have to get down and wash the rug by hand. This may sound like an arduous job, but it can be done fairly easily. Simply combine a cap-full of liquid laundry detergent with two gallons of warm water. Use a soft-bristled brush to scrub the carpet with the mixture. Do not saturate the rug, but be liberal with your application.
- Air dry. When learning how to wash rugs, patience is required. After you have applied the detergent, you will need to let the rug air dry. To speed up the process, you can set the rug beneath ceiling fans, and point box fans at the rug.
- Rinse. Once the rug is dry, you will want to go over the rug with a damp cloth. This will help to remove any excess detergent.
- Deodorize. The final step in learning how to wash rugs is to deodorize with baking soda. Lightly sprinkle the entire rug with baking soda, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Then, vacuum. You should notice that your rug looks brighter than it did before, and it should smell fresh and clean.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…