Want to know how to wash vintage men's ties? Vintage ties do not always include fabric care tags. They can become more delicate with age so you need to wash vintage men’s ties with care. Never throw them in to the washer where they can be damaged and lose their shape. If they are velvet, silk or wool it is best to take them to the dry cleaners. However, most of them can be hand washed with great results. Ties are sometimes made with two types of material, one for the front and then the lining. Make sure both sides are able to be hand washed.
- Mild Detergent
- Stain Remover
- Two Towels
- Test the vintage tie for color-fastness. Wet a small piece of the tie in an inconspicuous spot with water and detergent. If the tie has two types of material test both sides. Allow it to dry to make sure the color stayed and it did not cause a water spot.
- Prepare to wash the tie. Pre-treat any stains with a fabric stain remover. Clean the sink and rinse well before washing the tie to keep any oils or toothpaste from damaging the fabric.
- Fill the sink with cold water and add a capful of mild liquid detergent. Swish the water to mix well. Add the vintage tie to the water and gently agitate for a few minutes with your hands.
- Drain the water from the sink without removing the tie. Refill the sink with cool water and agitate the tie in the plain water to rinse. Gently squeeze to get rid of any soap. Drain the water again and repeat the process until all the soap bubbles are gone.
- Remove the excess water, but do not wring out the vintage men’s tie. Place it on a clean towel and gently roll the towel with the tie inside to get rid of the water.
- Lay the tie on another dry, clean towel. Carefully stretch the fabric into shape after you lay it down to dry flat. Check the tie while it is drying and stretch into shape if it begins to curl. You may have to play with it a few times during this process especially, if the vintage men’s tie is made of two different fabrics.
- If you use a dry cleaner, make sure they are experienced with vintage fabrics.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.