Need to know how to wash a vintage velvet coat? Do you have a luxurious vintage velvet coat in need of washing? Are you puzzled when it comes to caring for your velvet beauty? You are not alone! Many vintage velvet owners leave washing their coats to the pros. Unfortunately, professional cleaning can cost a fortune. There is no need to wash your hard-earned money down the drain with professional washing; you can clean your vintage velvet coat yourself!
To wash a vintage velvet coat, you will need:
- Warm water
- Dish washing detergent
- A wash cloth
- A dry cloth
- A brass velvet brush
- A dry cleaning kit
- A dryer
- Know your velvet. Some are under the impression that velvet is a fabric. They are wrong. Velvet is actually a weave. It is composed of many different fibers. Velvet responds well to both wet and dry cleaning techniques.
- Mix soap and water. Mix half a teaspoon of dish washing detergent with the water. Mix until suds form. Dip the washcloth into the suds only. Apply a tiny amount to your vintage velvet coat. Dab. Repeat the application. Dab again. Avoid soaking the coat.
- Remove stains. To get rid of stains, you will need to use dry cleaning solvent.
- While wet, brush the coat. Brush in the direction of the nap. You want to brush the velvet fibers down using the brass velvet brush. Allow to dry for about twenty-four hours.
- Once the coat is dry, brush. Brush the vintage velvet coat up, opposite the nap, to restore the velvet. Brushing lifts and separates the fibers.
- If your vintage velvet coat requires dry cleaning, do it yourself. You can purchase a dry cleaning kit from your local supermarket. You simply toss the velvet coat into the special bag. If there are stains, apply the special solution provided. Place the bag in the dryer and tumble dry for the time specified in the kit instructions. Remove from the dryer and you are done!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.