One doesn’t necessarily have to own a pair of waterproof boots if you know how to waterproof boots yourself. Waterproofing boots is easy and not only does it protect you from the elements, it protects your boots enabling them to last longer so you get your money’s worth. While there are numerous types of commercial waterproofers available, the ones described below cost less and are just as effective as expensive name brands.
- Petroleum jelly, beeswax or lanolin oil
- Soft bristle brush
- Several clean, dry cloths (100% cotton works well)
- Old newspapers
- Gloves (optional)
- Obtain items necessary to waterproof boots. Petroleum jelly can be purchased at most any discount or grocery store and is relatively inexpensive. Beeswax waterproofing must be purchased wherever craft supplies or bee supplies are sold. Lanolin oil can also be purchased at most discount stores. While each form of waterproofing is as effective as the other, price and availability may determine which you would rather use.
- Clean boots thoroughly. Using a soft bristle brush, remove any dirt, paying especial attention to sewn seams and creases. Wipe clean with a dry cloth.
- Apply waterproofing. Place a generous amount of waterproofing on a clean, dry cloth and using a circular motion, rubbing the waterproofing onto the boots. Cover the entire boot. Note that upon applying waterproofing, the color of your boot may darken somewhat; this is normal and is not staining. Note: You may wish to wear gloves prior to working with different types of waterproofing.
- Allow boots to condition for at least 12 to 24 hours. Place boots on old newspapers in order to absorb the waterproofing. This should be at a dry location, free from direct sunlight and/or heat.
- Give your boots a final buffing. Using a clean, dry cloth, rub the boots gently to remove any excess waterproofing. Your boots are now ready to withstand wet environments.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”