How To Waterproof Leather Shoes
You need learn how to waterproof leather shoes to extend their lifeline. When you waterproof leather shoes it helps keep them from discoloring and cracking. Not to mention, you paid a lot of money for them. So before you wear them, waterproof your leather shoes.
What you need to waterproof leather shoes:
- Clean cloths
- Leather conditioner
- Leather protectant
- To waterproof leather shoes you have to clean them first. Unless your leather shoes are brand new, you have to make sure they are clean before you can begin to waterproof a pair of leather shoes. Take a clean cloth and slightly dampen it with some water. Wipe off any dirt that may be on your leather shoes. Let them dry in a cool place to avoid heat damage.
- Condition the leather shoes. After cleaning leather shoes you have to condition them. Cleaning leather removes dirt as well as oil. You can get leather conditioner at any store that sells leather shoes for a very low price. Read the directions and let the leather shoes dry completely. This is the first protective barrier to waterproof leather shoes.
- Get some leather protectant to waterproof leather shoes. Most shoe stores that sell leather shoes, or any store that sells leather garments will have leather protectant. It comes in the form of a spray or a wax that you apply directly to the leather shoes.
- Remove the laces before you waterproof leather shoes. If you leave the laces in the shoes, you will miss the area where the laces are. The eyes on your leather shoes will get more wear and tear than the rest of the shoe and could stretch out.
- Apply the leather protectant. Either spray or wipe on the leather protectant you choose. Be sure to cover every area of the leather shoes. One spot missed could later be a discolored water stain. To properly waterproof leather shoes the protectant has to thoroughly dry before you wear your leather shoes.