By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn how to wax Nordic skate skis. Unlike downhill skis, Nordic skate skis require some traction in order to allow for greater ease when climbing hills. You won't believe how much money you saved by doing this on your own at home!
- Secure the Nordic skate skis in a vise, with the bottom of the Nordic skis facing up. Make sure the vise is on a stable work surface, such as a table or the ground.
- Heat up the waxing iron to a temperature which will melt the wax, but is not any hotter than this. If the iron is too hot, it can damage the skate skis, possibly beyond repair.
- Carefully place the wax up to the surface of the waxing iron. Once the wax begins to melt, drip it over the surface of the Nordic skate ski. When doing this, move in a direction from tip to tail.
- Use the iron to smooth the wax onto the Nordic ski until it has smoothed. Let the skate ski remain in the vise for around 30 minutes, or until it has cooled completely.
- Hold a plastic scraper at a 45 degree angle to the skate ski base. Carefully scrape off any remaining wax, again following the direction of tip to tail. Finally, use a nylon brush to remove any excess wax or dust.
Try out the skis on a flat surface before taking them downhill. Carefully remove the Nordic skate skis from the vise, and enjoy!