Knowing how to wax a surfboard is a basic skill that every surfer needs to master. With the exception of a few eccentric cold water surfers who use nose to tail traction pads, most surfers will need some surfboard wax to keep their feet on the board. Knowing how to wax a surfboard is a very basic skill and with a few simple tips anyone can be a Wax Master General.
To wax a surfboard, you will need:
- Wax Comb
- Choosing Your Wax: There are quite a few wax brands floating around out there, and all will wax a surfboard just fine. Sex Wax is the classic choice, but Sticky Bumps and Mrs. Palmers are very popular as well. Make sure you choose a wax that corresponds to the type of water you surf in. Cold water wax is extra tacky, and warm water wax is harder with a higher melting point. If you wax a surfboard with tropical wax in cold water you’ll slide off your board, but if you use cold water wax in the tropics you’ll be wearing the wax in your chest follicles. Always choose the proper wax for your surfboard.
- Base-coat: Some people put on a base coat before they use normal wax. The theory is that the base coat makes it easier to wax a surfboard. Some surfers swear by it, others see no difference. Try it out for yourself.
- Apply The First Layer: This should go without saying, but surf wax goes ON TOP OF THE BOARD. You’re not skiing, bro brah. When waxing a board you want to get as much texture on the deck of the board as possible. To do this, start by rubbing the wax in a pattern of small circles or in a cross grid fashion. When you wax a surfboard in circles or in crossing lines, the eventual coat will have bumps and valleys, which is perfect for grip.
- Apply the Top Coat: Apply wax rail to rail in large circles. If done correctly, the deck will be covered in thousands of tiny bumps. Longboards and egg shapes need wax nose to tail, rail to rail. Wax the whole thing. A shortboard only needs wax on the back 2/3 of the board. Never wax a surfboard with patches for each foot. If done improperly, wax patches leads to poor foot placement and you may wish you had the excess wax for tube riding or maneuver recovery.
- Comb It: When the wax loses its grip, a comb can rough it up before applying a new coat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."