How To Wear A Vintage Tux
Modern tuxedoes are fairly simple to wear, but you may need help to know how to wear a vintage tux. A vintage tux is a tuxedo that was made several decades ago, or a tux that is made to resemble a different era's style. You can maximize the potential of a vintage tux by following the style tips below.
What you will need to complement a vintage tux:
- A tie
- A formal white shirt
- Dress shoes
- Dark socks
- Hair gel or mousse (optional)
- Find a tie that complements the color of the vintage tux. For example, if the tuxedo is blue, find a patterned tie that includes a blue that matches the same blue of the suit. If the tie is not patterned, you may end up wearing too much of a single color. If you prefer a solid tie, get a color that complements the color of the suit without matching it perfectly.
- Get a high-quality white shirt to go with the tuxedo. Tuxedos, including vintage tuxes, are meant to be worn with white shirts, so you should probably follow tradition. A white shirt will keep the outfit from looking too gaudy or cluttered.
- If possible, find vintage shoes from the era of your vintage tux. This will complete the outfit and make you look quite dapper. If you can't find vintage shoes, either go for a classic shoe style or shoes inspired by vintage styles.
- Be sure to get socks that match the color of your pants. Wearing white socks with a tux is a big fashion no-no. Darker socks make the suit look more seamless and formal.
- If desired, style hair back to suit the era of your vintage tux. You may want a sleek look to match the sleekness of your outfit. Not only will you look like you came out of a time machine, you will likely get many compliments from others, assuming that you put all of the elements of the vintage tux together well.