How To Whiten Your Teeth At Home
If you're a cost-conscious consumer or a do-it-yourself kind of person, knowing how to whiten your teeth at home can save you an unpleasant trip to the dentist. While dentists charge as high as $250 or more for this service, even kits you buy at the store to whiten your teeth can run as high as $50. Fortunately there are ways for you to whiten your teeth for a fraction of the cost, using things you have at home.
To whiten your teeth on your own you'll need the following:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Baking soda
- Get some baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. You might have these two ingredients lying around at home already. If not, you can find the baking soda at the grocery store and the hydrogen peroxide at either the grocery store's pharmacy area or an actual pharmacy store. Either ingredient by itself will whiten teeth; but combined they're even more powerful.
- Mix the ingredients. Combine 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Adjust the mixture until it makes a pasty substance, like toothpaste.
- Apply the solution to your teeth. Dip your toothbrush into the paste and brush your teeth thoroughly with the mixture, like you would with normal toothpaste. Wait a minute or so and then rinse your mouth with water. Repeat all three steps for two to three months to whiten your teeth to a noticeable level and four to six months to complete the process.
- Combine a little mint flavoring to make it taste better.
- You can also use lemon juice instead of hydrogen peroxide to whiten your teeth at home just as effectively.