How To Win Breakpoints In Tennis
With a few steps you can learn how to win breakpoints in tennis. Winning breakpoints involves knowing when to take risks. You can learn how to win breakpoints by keeping the following considerations in mind.
- Be aggressive on the first serve. One way to win breakpoints is to take chances on the first serve. This is one way many tennis players get easy breakpoints. Your opponent may be playing safely when he or she is behind on breakpoints.
- Go to the net. Again it is important to take advantage of "safe play." Don't be afraid to come to the net and put pressure on your opponent.
- Play safely on rallies. Many opponents, you will find, will put pressure on themselves in making mistakes. While you need to be aggressive at times, rallies represent a good time to let your opponent make a mistake.
- Take advantage of your opponent's weaknesses. Finish what you have started. If you are in a position to win breakpoints in your match, you should have noticed by now your opponent's weaknesses. Don't be afraid to stay with them and attack weaknesses for the breakpoints. Often sticking with the same formula will work for the breakpoints in tennis.
- Mix it up if needed. If your opponent is making adjustments to your play, do the same. Again, with the pressure of being down on breakpoints, your opponent will likely have difficulties in responding to something new. Take the initiative and do something new to keep your opponent on his or her toes and guessing.
Posted on: Jun. 25, 2010