When learning how to wire a house for speakers it should be understood that this is a broad topic that requires an understanding of general home stereo principles, what your house or apartment will sustain as far its décor is concerned, and how much your spouse and/or roommates will tolerate as you mount the task.
- Know what you want. If your intent in wiring a house for speakers is to simply achieve maximum sound with no other considerations, your task will prove simple enough. Just rig wiring from the stereo system and let the errant connections fall where they may.
- It sounded good until I fell over your loose ends and banged my head. Obviously, almost anyone with common sense won’t just leave speaker wires lying about the floor in a random fashion. So if you’re such an individual, you should consider an approach that employs wiring camouflage.
- The Claude Rains Theory. Ideally, when wiring a house for speakers, it’s best to emulate the “Invisible Man” as depicted in past films. More specifically, the consideration of using rugs, carpeting, furniture, etc. as hiding places for speaker wires is strongly advised so as to keep your home from looking like a Tesla experiment while also avoiding the possibility of pedestrian trafficina dvertently severing the connections you’ve made between your stereo equipment and its speakers.
- Connecting speakers to a stereo system is basically a self-explanatory process for anyone with common sense and access to an owner’s manual. However, the knowledge of logistics required to properly “run sound” in a visual and practical manner within a home is another matter altogether that is more akin to interior design than sound engineering.
- The most important thing to remember when wiring a house for speakers is to allow a generous amount of slack where the wires running between components and speakers are concerned. The typical rule of thumb dictates three times the wire length needed. This will allow the luxury of pushing speaker wires under baseboards, stringing it around furniture in a visually pleasing manner or running it around the family dog while not disturbing her sleep.
- The optimum conditions where wiring a house for speakers is concerned involves a home that has yet to have drywall or sheetrock installed. This allows the opportunity to run and staple wiring along structural beams and into wall outlets. The same system can be employed within existent walls by means of a tool known as a wiring snake, but this approach is ill-advised in that the time, trouble and problems it will probably entail are seldom worth the trouble.
So, in the long run, it’s best to remember: sound quality first, accessibility second, and patience third as the most important factors when wiring a house for speakers.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.