If you have ever sold a piece of your property, you have probably wondered how to write a bill of sale. A bill of sale serves as legal evidence to a transfer of property and should be used for any item of value. Examples of such items include vehicles, computer equipment, watercraft, furniture, animals and firearms. It is fairly simple to write a bill of sale for most goods, though for large items certain guidelines should be followed.
- Gather the information you will need. To write a bill of sale, you will need to know the item being sold: any serial/VIN number associated with that item, the sales price, the date of the sale, the location (if the sale item is property), the buyer’s name and the purchaser’s name.
- Compile the information into a bill of sale. For most items, a bill of sale can serve as a sales receipt. It can be as simple as a sentence typed or written out on a piece of paper. For example: "For the sum of $1000 I convey to Jane Doe the full ownership of the brown thingamadoozy, serial number ABCDE."
- Sign and date the bill of sale. To properly write a bill a sale, make sure the document is signed and dated by the seller and the purchaser.
- Keep a copy of the bill of sale for your records. Both the buyer and the seller should get a copy of the bill of sale. If there are any disputes in the future, the bill of sale can be produced in a court of law and serve as legal evidence of the transaction.
- Download the proper form from the internet. For more professional looking forms, perform an internet search for “bill of sale.” There are several free online examples available.
- Consult a lawyer for large sales. For large sale items (such as vehicles or property), many states have standard bill of sale forms. To ensure you are filling out the proper form, it is best to consult a lawyer to avoid potential disputes.
Tips & Warnings:
- If you do not know how to write a bill of sale and do not do it properly, there could be legal ramifications in the future if the sale is disputed. Following the proper guidelines will keep you out of trouble and will stand up in court.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.