If you were overpaid during the year, you will need to know how to write a check to the IRS. Overpayments must be sent in when you file your taxes. When mailing your tax documents to the IRS you must send this check along with these documents in order to receive proper credit for your account.
You must include account information on this check to ensure that your tax profile is up to date and payment is successfully credited to your account.
- Enter the date on the date line. You should send in this payment before April 15th which is the deadline for tax returns to be submitted to the IRS.
- Enter "Internal Revenue Service" in the blank that reads "Pay to the order of." It is best to write out the words for the acronym, IRS as it is stated on the tax forms.
- Enter the amount of the payment in the box to the right in numeric form. And then write this amount out in words on the line next to "Dollars."
- Sign your legal signature on the signature line as it is represented on your checking account.
- Enter your social security number or tax ID on the line that reads notes or memos. This will help the IRS clerk who enters the information into their computer system credit your account properly. Make sure that when you are ready to place the tax documents and the check into the envelope that you staple the check to these documents. This will prevent the check from falling out and getting lost during this process.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.