When entering the professional world, it is important to know how to write a leave of absence letter. A leave of absence letter is required in most companies when an employee is seeking extended time away from work. No matter what your reasons are, the format of the letter itself is important for conveying this request to a supervisor. Knowing how to write a leave of absence letter properly could mean the difference between having your request granted or refused.
What You Will Need:
- A computer with a word processing program
How to Write a Leave of Absence Letter:
- Type Your Letter. A typed letter looks more polished and professional. For a leave of absence request, you want your petition to be formal and neat. Sending a typed, rather than a handwritten letter, gives a more organized and professional appearance.
- Begin Formally. The tone of your leave of absence letter should be formal and professional. Begin by addressing your superior in a respectful manner. "Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name" is the proper way to format your salutation.
- Include the Dates. In the beginning of your letter, include the dates that you will be gone from work, beginning with your departure date and concluding with your return date. Including the dates in your letter is what your superiors most want to see as a record of your absence. Be very specific with these dates and be sure to abide by them in the future.
- Reference Your Reason. While your reason for taking a leave of absence may be personal, it is a nice touch to reference your reason in the leave of absence letter. You may be specific about this or a simple "personal reasons" will suffice. Also mention any work related activities you will be doing while away. For example, if you are available for work related consultations, state this in your letter.
- Be Gracious. Even if your request for a leave of absence has not yet been granted, thank the reader of your letter for his/her time and consideration. End your letter with a formal complimentary closing, such as Sincerely. Press enter a few times, leaving about an inch of space after your closing, before typing your full name. After printing, manually sign your name in the space between the closing and your typed signature.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!