Retiring can be a disruptive time so make it easier by learning how to write a resignation letter due to retirement. It is important to let your employer know as soon as possible once you have made the decision to begin your retirement.
- Use a professional format. Do not write an informal resignation letter due to retirement as the letter you give will most likely end up in your employee file. Make sure you address the letter to your supervisor or manager.
- State your pending retirement and date of said retirement. Use the first paragraph of your resignation letter to explain that you will be retiring. Give the date that you expect to be your last day on the job. Make sure that you give a decent amount of time before the date of your retirement. Two weeks should be the minimum.
- Give thanks and appreciation. Write a paragraph in your resignation letter telling your employer how much you have appreciated working with them and give thanks for the many years that they worked with you. You may want to bring up how many years you worked for the company and what working for them has meant to you.
- Offer help in the transition. Offer to help the company find and train a replacement for your position before your retirement arrives. You may want to suggest someone who has worked in a position below yours and take the time to train him or her before you leave.
- Close with hopes for the future. Express your hopes for a happy retirement as you start the next phase of your life and express your hope that the company will continue to be successful.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...