So you've got your band together and you want to know how to write a rock song. You're busy with rehearsals and all the other business that makes a rock band rock, but what can you do? The drummer's illiterate! Here's how to write a rock song.
- Pick an Exciting Subject Writing a rock song is a lot like writing a novel, a play or a movie script: It all starts with an idea. Note: "exciting" doesn't necessarily mean "unique." Many of the best rock songs ever written have been about sex, girls or alcohol and these subjects show few signs of drying out now. Begin drinking immediately!
- Pick a Good Riff Don't let anyone tell you riffs are dead. Riffs are as important to writing a rock song. To indulge in a little rock hyperbole, a good riff should sound like the gods storming the gates of Hell while drunk on cheap liquor and high on weed. Use that as a guide.
- Don't Let Your Girlfriend Help In the business of writing a rock song, this practice is known as "yokoing." Your girlfriend (or boyfriend, no hate) doesn't know anything about your creative process. So remember, just say, "Oh, no" to "yokoing" (This is a piece about writing rock songs. We don't know anything about rhyming taglines).
- Listen to Other Rock Songs Don't be one of those douchebags who doesn't pay attention to his peers because it "muddles the creative process." Listen to as much of the great rock that has come before you as possible. Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and Bowie maybe something that didn't exist 25 years ago (allegedly); it's all open to inspiring your creative juices when you write a rock song.
- Don't Worry About Pleasing Audiences Writing a rock song is as personal as any other creative endeavor, so it's very important that you forego commercialism in favor of personalized rocking. If it's good, it'll be popular. If it isn't, you can try selling out. Then you can write rock songs about how hard it is being rich!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.