Hunting coyotes is one of the most exciting and challenging hunts to embark on. Coyotes are a solitary animal with great eyesight and scent capabilities. If a coyote hunter has not taken every step necessary to ensure that the animal does not sense a human presence, a successful day can round up five to nine kills.
To coyote hunt, you will need:
- Predator Call
- Rain Gear
- Scent Blocker
- .223 Caliber rifle or greater
- Minimum of 55 grain rifle ammunition
- Binoculars/ Spotting scope
- Hunting backpack
- The first step in hunting coyotes is to park your car in a distant location from where you are hunting. Parking far away and walking to the hunting site will increase the chances of making a kill. If a hunter is willing to walk farther distances coyote hunting becomes easier because the game is less pressured.
- The second step is to spray scent blocker on your camouflage and get all the necessary gear needed for the hunt in a good hunting backpack. Once you get the gear and rifle ready to go it's time for the hike to the hunting spot.
- The third step in hunting coyotes is to find a stand of trees and put your back to it and face an open meadow. Facing a meadow is the most successful way to see the incoming coyotes.
- The fourth step in hunting coyotes is to get your predator call and start calling. A predator call is a devise, whether electronic or man powered, that sounds like a wounded animal. While the predator call is being used, your binoculars and spotting scopes will help you spot the incoming coyotes.
- The last step in hunting coyotes is to kill the animal. Once the coyote comes into a range of 100 yards it is in range. Once in range, silently load your rifle and take off the safety and wait for a clear shot at the coyote.