Indian Head Massage Benefits
Indian head massage benefits are numerous ,and many people may be surprised by the ancient roots of this type of bodywork. Originating in India, Indian head massage is also known as Shiroabhyanga. The practice is comprised of many massage techniques and when combined with other diagnostic tools, is used in Ayurvedic medicine to address health and wellness issues.
Variations of the technique are utilized in barbershops and hair salons and are gaining in popularity due to the hair follicle stimulating and overall bodily relaxing effect, but because of the extensive list of benefits of true Shiroabhyanga, it is an understatement to say that Indian head massage is as simple as a scalp massage.
- Eases stress and tension. Massage is renowned for its ability to provide deep relaxation by easing stress and muscle tension. From the scalp massage in the barber chair to the full body massage on a massage table, bodywork has a soothing effect on all systems of the body. Indian head massage, in particular, eases the muscles of the scalp, face, neck and shoulder muscles to provide tension relief.
- Relieves mental fatigue. Because of the increase of blood flow and muscular tension relief, Indian head massage is ideal to relieve the effects of mental fatigue. It also increases alertness and improves concentration ability.
- Promotes hair growth. With the increased blood volume circulating to the head and brain, Indian head massage may be of particular interest to those who suffer from premature hair loss due to heredity or health factors.
- Improves mobility. With increased relief from muscle tension, neck and shoulder mobility is increased.
- Better overall body function. Lymph drainage, respiratory function and blood flow are all positively impacted by head massage. Conditions of the head including headache, sinusitis, eye strain and many upper respiratory problems are also improved with Shiroabhyanga.