Indie Love Songs
Sometimes when you want to express your love, you want to go off the pop track to find indie love songs. While "Sometimes" by Britney Spears or "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion are fantastic love songs, here are some indie choices. Perhaps you and yuor girlfriend will choose one of these songs as "your song."
- "My Heart is an Apple" This often-performed song by Arcade Fire used to be the center of their early concerts. It's a love song with an incredible bridge and lyrics to savor.
- "Do You Realize??" Yes, the band put two question mark in the song's title for emphasis. The Flaming Lips had a surprise, runaway indie hit with this love song. It's about the wonder of the one you love.
- "Anyone Else But You" This memorable song was recorded by The Moldy Peaches. You'll be humming and singing this tune to your loved one for days, if for no other reason that it's infectious and you can't get it out of your head!
- "Tire Swing" Kimya Dawson sings this song of innocent love and life. It's simplistic, yet beautiful. It tells a story of love in a time of clarity and wonder, yet the lyrics convey this through simple observations and expressions of feelings.
- "No Other Love" This song is from Olivia Newton-John's "Gaia" from the early 1990s. Yes, Olivia Newton-John is a mainstream singer, but she produced this album herself as an independent solo effort. She wrote the songs as she was recovering from breast cancer and this song is a beautiful love song to her husband and child.
- "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" The Smiths sang on lots of topics, but this ditty on love is one of their finest songs. The poetic lyrics compliment the strong music, and it makes for great repeat listening.
- "Stormwinds" Fairuza Balk is an actress, artist, writer, dancer, musician and singer. "Stormwinds" is her debut single and it is hauntingly beautiful with lyrics that make you think and music that makes you groove. You'll keep this one on repeat.
- "Dreams Will Come" Paul Brady sings this powerful, yet dreamy love song. It looks upon all the dreams a couple has for their love and life together.
- "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" This song from 1972 remains a classic. It's performed by Lou Reed (and lots of cover artists since him). It tells the stories of individuals on their way to NYC, yet there are references to rough love throughout. It's a unique love song.
- "Playground Love" Air performed this ethereal song of love, idealization and innocence. There is an instrumental version, but the singing is haunting and unforgettable. Both versions should be on your playlist.