When a couple faces infertility, their lives often become consumed with finding infertility remedies that offer success for their individual needs and concerns. After visiting with health care providers and seeking out the possible cause or causes of your specific situation, it is important to have an understanding of the many remedies and treatments available for couples facing infertility.
- Prescription Medications. After initial medical exams and testing, some couples coping with infertility receive prescriptions to balance hormone levels or to encourage ovulation. Sometimes, couples discover that a simple change in current medications for other conditions may restore their fertility as some common medications pose fertility reducing side effects.
- Surgical Treatments. Certain infertility causing conditions are treatable through surgery. For example, if a structural problem is preventing ovulation—or a physical blockage is reducing sperm flow, there are sometimes surgical treatments available to remedy the conditions.
- Diet and Lifestyle Modifications. While changing your diet or losing weight may not solve infertility problems alone, combined with other infertility treatments, making healthy changes to diet, increasing exercise, and cutting out some common habits such as drinking, smoking or caffeine, can help increase fertility.
- Artificial Insemination or Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART). For couples unable to conceive after other therapies, artificial insemination or one of a number of A.R.T. procedures may yield success. In-Vitro Fertilization is one of the most commonly known Assisted Reproductive Technologies used in infertility treatment—but, GIFT and ZIFT procedures, surrogates, and egg donors are other ART and "assisted" options available as well.
- Alternative Remedies. Many couples seek out additional help, especially when traditional medical methods fail to remedy their infertility problems. While scientific research varies on the effectiveness of alternative therapies such as herbal supplements, fertility massage, yoga or acupuncture, many couple explore the benefits and risks of a range of alternative therapies in combination with traditional treatment options.