Inspirational Sports Quotes
While none of the greatest inspirational sports quotes will get young athletes in the record books alone, these quotes can serve as inspiration, motivation and encouragement for all. Any athlete will tell you that it takes hard work to see success, but for these sporting greats, it was about much more than that—mainly heart, determination and persistence.
- "It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get up" Vince Lombardi Spoken like a true champion, legendary professional football coach Vince Lombardi is remembered by this quote, among others, in addition to winning five NFL championships and two Super Bowls while coaching the Green Bay Packers. "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" is a statement to being dedicated to your game and never giving up, even in the face of adversity. Lombardi's success took a great deal of dedication and the National Football League honors his commitment to the game was honored in 1971 when the league renamed their championship trophy the Lombardi Trophy.
- "Don't go where the puck was. Go where the puck is going to be" Walter Gretzky Though this inspirational sports quote is often attributed in another form to "The Great One," the idea behind it came from Walter Gretzky, father of Wayne Gretzky. Urging his son to play ahead of the puck, Walter encouraged son as he became one of the greatest hockey players of all time. Wayne Gretzky credits his father for much of his success, including providing inspirational sports quotes like this one.
- "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." Michael Jordan Speaking about his legendary career, basketball great Michael Jordan provided this inspirational sports quote when reflecting on his record-breaking career. Pointing out his share of failures, he provided motivation to others who are looking for success and urged them not to give up.
- "I don't want them to forget (Babe) Ruth, I just want them to remember me!" Hank Aaron While not the traditional inspirational sports quote, this line from legendary baseball player Hank Aaron spoke about playing in the shadow of another MLB great Babe Ruth. While not every player will be remembered like Aaron or Ruth, the inspirational sports quote reminds players to respect the greats of the past, but to seek out their own spotlight.
- "It is not the size of a man, but the size of his heart that matters." Evander Holyfield Speaking to the fact that successful athletes are more about heart than anything else, this inspirational sports quote comes from notable boxer Evander Holyfield. The quote can go on to inspire young athletes to give it their all no matter if they are not the typical athlete in their sport.